Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Standing Still is the Only Dance I Know




















About six months ago, various friends, co-conspirators, fans, and inspirations of mine suggested I start a blog. I did, maintained it for a month or so, and then blew it off. Little of it was of any merit, though the six or seven anecdotes about me being a drunken parasite probably elicited a hearty chortle or guffaw from a person or six. The problem, aside from hosting it in a more or less barren and unnavigable province of the e-wasteland, was that it was simply a text-based rendition of my popular stage show. You might of seen it performed before. It's like Gallagher, but you hold up the garbage bag to keep obscenity from staining your Hawaiian shirt.

This attempt, while still ultimately bike-locked to my failures and inadequacies, at least attempts to merge my bloated, self-important prose, with the amenities of the digital age. Such as indulging in music from corporations, in a manner easy enough for even the most lobotomized of my acquaintances to figure out. As a mighty cymbal crash to mark the event of my blog re-opening, I present to you... music that I probably stole from some other blog a year ago and forgot about.

-----------------------------




The Dismemberment Plan - Ellen and Ben

The Dismemberment Plan, one of the greatest bands of the nineties, essentially birthed every verbose, danceable indie-rock band of the modern-era, and then broke up before they could cash in on it. While the former of the linked tracks, "Ellen and Ben", showcases the sort of angular, cerebral pop that they would become legendary for, I always think of them for their daring, imaginative covers.



The Dismemberment Plan - Crush

"Crush", by Jennifer Paige, is notable amongst the vast ocean of 1990's Jock Jams, in that the original performer has a first and a last name. While Robyn (Show Me Love) and Amber ("This is Your Night") went the Cher/Madonna route of the egomaniacal singular moniker, Paige clearly had enough self-doubt and vulnerability to invoke her full government name, qualities later manifested by the Plan's distorted, morphine-drenched rendition of the 1998 roller rink anthem (or, um, I heard they played Jennifer Paige at roller rinks. I was too busy... knife fighting).

2 comments:

Jacob Mustafa said...

Fans? You're reaching. It's just stragglers like me.

Clitoris Rex said...

Knife Fighting. Ha, I almost spit out my organic lemon-infused white tea when I read that.